Community of Nuevo Durango
Nuevo Durango is located within the municipality of Lázaro Cárdenas where the Maya communities live and transfer their culture and traditional techniques. Lázaro Cárdenas is not among the municipalities where the touristic activity is present, such as Tulum, Cozumel, Benito Juárez, and Solidaridad. It is catalogued as an Indigenous Maya Zone. The population of Nuevo Durango is dedicated mainly to agriculture, which has historically faced many problems. For more than 10 years the Universidad del Caribe and has a well established connection and relationship with this community focused on the promotion and training in agro-ecology.
Universidad del Caribe has identified the following projects that can leverage technology:
- Improve the quality of life of the rural population.
- Create self-employment options for the young in the community through knowledge of the natural resources of the region, and option for commercialization of ecological (organic) products.
- Diversify the economic activities of the region, fostering employment creation and new business initiatives for agro-ecological production.
- Promote a sustainable management of the existing agricultural activities.
- Prevent illnesses like Dengue, Chinkunguya, and Zika.
- Rescue traditional medicine and herbolaria.
|COMPONENT||OPPORTUNITY AREA||MAIN LIMITATION||STRENGTH|
|Agriculture activity||Interest for sustainable agriculture||Little or no budget by the state||Level of experience on agriculture by local inhabitants|
|Sales and distribution for agricultural products||Interest for ecological and sustainable agriculture||Lack of training on sales, distribution, commercial and production processes.||Proximity to great markets like the municipalities of Benito Juárez and Solidaridad|
|Access to education||To educate and train through productive processes interconnected with other local communities and from other states, so that the migration phenomena may be avoided.||Lack of schools for medium and higher education. Lack of transportation means. Low availability of paid jobs.||Interest by the young people to study and enter the job market.|
|Natural resources||Knowledge and appreciation of the land, its culture, and history||Overexploitation of tourism-related products.||Sufficient space or territory of land useful for crops and natural resources of agricultural richness in species and climate.|
|Health care||Lack of health centers.||Given the small population, they do not qualify for state investments.||Traditional medicine and herbolaria for the treatment of certain illnesses.|